Most of us have heard that a tick apocalypse is here. We have also seen that ticks are transmitting diseases other than lyme, including relapsing fever, babesiosis, and Powassan virus. I am still planning to go outside, ride my bike, plant my vegetable garden, and do an occasional hike. I will be careful and take intelligent precautions. Let me share some with you. Note: permethrin, included in several of the items listed below, is toxic to cats. If yours goes outside, avoid Permacell.
- Get rid of leaves from the winter
- Keep grass mowed
- Place a foot’s width of mulch near the tree line or around trees on your property
- Have your property sprayed
- Place “tick tubes” such as Permacell at your property’s perimeter
- Wear tick-proof clothing
- Spray yourself with permethrin or, if you prefer, a less toxic alternative.
- Tuck in shirts and tuck pants into white socks
- Protect pets– Frontline and/or collars and sprays
- Get Guinea Hens